I recently had occasion to hang out in Bend, Oregon for a minute or two (5 days) and was lucky enough to land at The Oxford Hotel with one of my most favorite partners in crime; It’s prompted me to return to my Love Letter Writing roots as it was one of the most restorative micro-vacations I’ve had in years.
I could go on ad naseum about every single detail that made my world a better place and returned the bounce to my step, but I love you enough to squeeze it into a Top Ten List.
Top Ten Oxford Hotel Coolosities (in no particular order)
- The Location Snuggled into a righteous corner of downtown Bend, surrounded by all kinds of seriously incredible ($$$) boutique shops, restaurants and salons, it was entirely possible to walk any and every where that held any appeal and it’s the perfect location from which to just adventure.
- The Vibe The attention to detail is evident in every single element and supports the “Upscale” claims in their promotional materials perfectly. It is upscale, but it’s also not so stuffy as to make a girl in overalls feel all judged and inadequate.
- The Restaurant 10 Below is tucked away in the basement of the hotel and proved to be a fine place to shake off too many hours in meetings or too many miles in exploration. The service was so good as to be remarkable, the menu was diverse and the vibe was classy without being breathless.
- Elevator Voice When she announces the lobby, she says it in such as way that you think of Lolita. It’s both sassy and sultry, and about guaranteed to make you smile if you’re listening. What a great elevator voice.
- Guitars & Mandolins available to borrow during your stay. Seriously? This is a first for me and is my most fave bonus feature. The Breedlove Guitar company is located in Bend and has worked out an arrangement with The Oxford Hotel to make instruments available to their guests. This rocks out loud so hard, I’m still smiling.
- The Pillow Menu True story. A menu fat with pillow options. Every bit as awesome as you might imagine it to be.
- The Staff The people of a place can make or break a reputation and this place has got their happy staff secured. From the servers in the restaurant to the front desk and the bellmen and the turn-down loves, these staffers make kindness look and feel authentic and I’m pretty sure I’ve come away with friends I’ll have forever.
- The Bathroom I know this shouldn’t make me as happy as it does, but dang – this bathroom (with the finest robes.EVER) was like movie stars and HGTV got together and built the perfect place to soak in a tub or stand too long under hot water in the shower. Props, you bathroom designers – well done.
- The People Watching 2am on the street in front of the hotel was a spectacular place to watch really really happy people call it a night and laugh hard. While the daybreak hours proved best for the small packs of young teen.angsty long-boarders who were more entertaining that ballet and ice skating put together.
- The Staff gets another mention here because of the top ten great things about this place, the people and their kindness is probably more important to me than a pillow menu. I did dig the fact that we could choose pillows, though.